In honor of Stress Awareness Month, we wanted to highlight the importance of incorporating mental stress relief techniques into your daily life. After all, too much stress can lead to health issues such as insomnia, anxiety or depression, low morale, short temper, headaches, stomachaches and back problems.
Use these mental stress relief techniques to help mitigate stress as it comes your way:
- Plan your day and prioritize your tasks. Before beginning to panic about the long list of things you want to get done, set realistic goals for the day and deadlines for when you want the tasks completed. Don’t rush and always have a backup plan in case you run into a speed bump along the way.
- Focus on things you can control. Break large tasks into smaller, more manageable ones instead of trying to tackle a large project all at once.
- Take steps slowly. Before acting, think about the end result that you desire so you don’t have to backtrack later.
- Use all available resources. Seek out resources to help you get things done—such as your spouse, a knowledgeable relative, a trustworthy friend or a reliable co-worker.
- Take short breaks. When you start to feel anxious, take a break. Have a glass of water, get some fresh air or read a quick chapter of a book. This will get your mind off the task for a few moments and allow you to feel a bit more refreshed.
When to Consult a Professional
If the stress in your life becomes more than you can bear or manage with these simple mental stress relief techniques, consider seeking professional assistance. A knowledgeable professional will be able to work with you to devise time management skills and stress-reducing techniques.
For more lifestyle guidance, contact one of our health and life agents today.